Molycorp Metals & Alloys utilizes vacuum induction melting (VIM) to produce a wide variety of complex custom-made alloys. VIM technology is most suitable for the production of specialty and exotic alloys, since these alloys generally contain a mixture of reactive and refractory metals which necessitate the utilization of inert atmospheres, high melting temperatures, stirring and homogenization.
By utilizing proprietary VIM operating techniques developed over the past 30 years, Molycorp Metals & Alloys is able to remove volatile trace elements (i.e., selenium, antimony, tellurium, etc.), keep oxygen, nitrogen, and hydrogen levels extremely low, and produce very homogenous and precise alloy products.
In the production of all specialty alloys, Molycorp Metals & Alloys believes that it is extremely important to work very closely with customers so that it produces alloy products that meet all of the customer’s physical and compositional requirements.
- Custom-made alloys can be produced as ingot pieces, rods, plates, or billets
- Minimum pour weight is around 25 kilos, maximum pour weight is around 300 kilos
- Molycorp Metals & Alloys is experienced in the production of rare earth master alloys, such as LaNi, NiY, NiGd, FeY, etc.
- Standard superalloy production includes nickel-based, cobalt-based, and iron-based alloys
- Molycorp Metals & Alloys has the ability to produce custom alloys with extremely low levels of trace impurities such as Pb, Sb, Bi, Tl, Se, Ag and Te
- Molycorp Metals & Alloys does not produce alloys containing significant amounts of As, Pb, alkali earth metals or alkali metals, and produces no alloys containing radioactive elements