Molycorp Metals & Alloys offers a wide range of vacuum induction melting (VIM) services, and it operates a variety of VIM furnaces, which provides significant flexibility in the arrangement of the casting setup and the size of the charge to be processed.
The majority of Molycorp Metals & Alloys’ customers utilize the melting services to produce exotic custom-made alloys from virgin raw materials. Customers also utilize the facilities for such things as specialty alloy purification, consolidation of alloys containing precious metals, scrap alloy homogenization, extrusion billet production, and off-grade alloy adjustments.
Molycorp Metals & Alloys’ furnaces are specifically designed to keep oxygen, nitrogen, and hydrogen levels to a bare minimum and to keep other impurities from contaminating the alloy during melting and casting. Lot sizes generally range from 25 kilos per cast to around 300 kilos per cast.
- Molycorp Metals & Alloys utilizes 6 VIM furnaces of various sizes, which provides maximum flexibility in charge size and stationary mold arrangements
- Experienced in consolidating scrap alloys for recycle
- Adept at remelting and adjusting off-grade alloys into usable products
- Proficient in remelting and casting precious metal scrap material, providing extremely high yield rates
- Proprietary operating techniques for reducing oxygen and nitrogen levels during the remelting of highly oxidized scrap materials
- For information concerning Molycorp Metals & Alloys’ production capabilities for superalloys and exotic custom-made alloys, please see Specialty Alloys.